Tuesday 2 February 2010

Wholefoods - Kensington


Much of the negative press and industry analysis for Wholefoods apparent failure to light the public imagination centre on price or the lack of car-parking- I sense the issues go far deeper. 

Are you really trying to seduce me with your big blackboards and some empty paper bags? Caress, amuse, tickle my fancy, tempt me with offers or amaze me. Please don't preach - You're ethical We get it! You might get away with this dire window in suburban Texas; We expect more. Harvey Nichols and Harrods are your closest competitors - take a walk.

It may seem unfair to compare you with Harvey Nic's but we consumers do compare, we compare local heroes and chain stores, department stores and supermarkets. We choose where to shop.

Whilst I will admit that many of your in-store displays are truly great, I'd argue that management are sleeping on the job. Who allowed the huge display of Charcoal? 60 thousand lines in one store and you can't find something else to promote? FYI It's February and it's raining


Are your floor managers paying attention? Do they care? Valentines Days is moments away and not a single bar of chocolate in this 6 foot high space has a shelf edge label. Salisbury's, Tescos et al would never make this mistake. Walk the Floor 4 x 4, twice a day!

I did however learn from the POS that 'Annie loves Choxi bars because they are full of antioxidants... Yummy'


Lastly where exactly are your hero products? I spent an hour in your presence and walked out with nothing. Sell me something I can't get elsewhere. Give me a reason to visit.