Tuesday 27 October 2009

Peche Mignon - Holloway Road

If you do something well - show off about it! It's not rocket science but so many shops fail to show themselves off to their best ability.

Peche Mignon never fails.

To be found on a backstreet just off everybody's most hated thoroughfare, the Holloway Road, this is a food haven for locals and the lost. It's easy to find - it's the only place worth going in.

A window brimming with piles of freshly baked pain chocolat and dozens of little Portuguese tarts draws me in. Inside huge displays of fresh flowers threaten to overpower the tiny store but don't. This is a store that cares about it's appearance thus conveying the message that the owner cares about his food, his large tummy gives a reassuring hint too.

With Dolfin Chocolate, Louse valley conserves and Kusmi Teas (a Russian tea via Paris - try the breakfast tea first, it's a treat among treats) among the grocery highlights it's easy to spend a pound or two and just in case you enjoy the music Peche Mignon has a curated display of very tempting Cd's so you can recreate the charming atmosphere at home. From the deli counter I'm always pulled towards the great Comte and simple cooking chorizo.

The service too is second to none, I was third in line and yet still got a 'hello what can I get you?' from the wonderfully effervescent Aussie barista. My coffee was ready before I'd even got to the front to pay.

Sitting outback in the tiny garden reading my news I felt truly ready for the day. What more can you ask from a local store?