Friday 23 October 2009

Fin & Flounder - Broadway Market

Broadway market has for a long time had almost everything. Today it felt complete. I found the Fin & Flounder

I never know how to start conversations with shopkeepers but seeing a smiling face and hearing a warm "good morning" followed by "what you cooking tonight?" as you walk through the door makes it easier. I had a simple risotto in mind, maybe a little white fish.

It was suggested that I try "a piece of Hake, as it's texture complements the softness of risotto rice perfectly and it's probably more suitable than our cod". After letting slip that I usually add vermouth Mr Happy pulled a free fish head from a bucket under the counter and proceeded to butcher it for me (do fishmongers butcher?) "Making your own fish stock would be fun". While he pulled out the eyes we talked about his 'London Cured Smoked Salmon', something I've not seen in a long time and also about my choice of rice for the evening. Yes I was upsold some rice that I probably don't need and yes I spent more money than I wanted, but isn't that what we all secretly want? Great service deserves reward.

The shop looks great too, on the left of this narrow mongers are gorgeous, almost nautical, pendant lights and simple white tiles, in-front sits a carefully curated and sustainably sourced selection of very fresh fish (deliveries daily from Cornwall and Hastings). On the right, highlighted by a simple wooden paneling, an array of everything else you may need to complement your purchase be it sushi rice, soy sauce, cookbooks or fresh herbs.

Mr Happy loves his job and I loved being his customer.