Tuesday 27 October 2009

Lemonmonkey - Stoke Newington

It's rare to find sanctuary in a city like London. I'd usually recommend The John Soane Museum, The British Libary or a certain little bench by a pretty little pond in a park I'm never going to divulge. Today I've found another - the dreadfully named LemonMonkey.
From the street it looks a little unpromising, the usual gastropub fittings of mixed up chairs, mashed up tables and moody lighting. Yet once inside a wave of serenity overcomes you, I'm hooked!

The big treat that awaits you is the delightful little annex at the back of the store, full of cookery books and mixed media art, it's somewhere to hanker down or cheer up - you decide.

The service may be a little sleepy but wouldn't you be too if you worked here? The coffee however was expert and the grocery selection curated with care (although I would urge them not to stack Vacherin Mont D'or on it's side) I would also worry that such a tiny selection of foodstuffs hardly makes it possible for customers to spend enough. The average spend here must be tiny - a coffee, a laptop and a two hour visit will not pay the bills.

Like a famous man at Salisbury's once said 'Retail is easy - but it's bloody impossible to get right'. The beautiful staff at LemonMonkey get it right.

Thank you.

PS After 40 minutes in the shop I started to love the name too!