Saturday 30 January 2010

Comptior Libanais - Marylebone

Quite why they choose to serve fabulous drinks in plastic or paper cups, when the bar is fully stocked with glass and china, is a disappointing mystery. None the less the refreshing offering tempted and then pleased. As always I went for one of the five lemonades - Toufaha - apple mint and sugar. Oddly for a Saturday morning I was not hungover but next time I am Ill be back. These simple treats are a perfectly balanced cure I'm sure.

I also took a pretty good (24 seconds / delicate crema) double espresso and a bag of sugared papaya for less than a fiver; the price being a lot more agreeable than the rather stodgy and cloying papaya.

I'd usually say that bad service, and yes it was bad, coupled with paper cups would put me off; but this place is too good to quibble over. Maybe its just a London thing, after all it took me thirty years of living here to find a publican who greeted me by name. Maybe it's the heavily nationalistic array of grocery on offer. Maybe I was just in a good mood.