Friday 29 January 2010

Peyton & Byrne - St Pancras Station

I'm sure the manager of this store would blame the weather, the location or a late delivery, but when 'Le Pain Quotidien' has over a hundred seated and contented customers and Peyton & Byrne has only two - don't you think they'd smell a rat?

The basics are so good at Peyton  & Byrne, they have long been a favourite pitstop of mine, the offer is intriging, the layout thoughtful, the product tempting and I love all the English cosiness.

The problem with this stunning little store is service. I asked a question about the bread that nobody could answer - but that everybody should've. A lady in large red hat wanted to buy a ceramic teapot - but nobody could find the box. I wanted to pay - a nearby colleagues response "I'm not on tills today, just hang around a while".

No smiles, no hint of an apology - no fun - I walked out.