Monday 14 June 2010

Villandry - Fitzrovia



Villandry seems to having an identity crisis.

As Villandry continues it's expansion plans they should perhaps have a little break and think about how things are going. At the moment it seems they need to concentrate again on what they once did so so well - being a great food shop. The restaurant was as good today as it's even been but I walked through the shop without stopping and a little confused as to where I was!

Its always tempting to up the offer of gift items, they take up lots of space, generate great GP and never go out of date, but if I want a book or a cuddly toy, a candle or a cheap barbecue I'll go elsewhere. At the moment a visit to Villandry is like a visit to a suburban market gardeners, stuff everywhere and nothing to buy. If i want gifts I'll go to Liberty's, if I want food I'll go to La Fromagerie.

Maybe next time Villandry, maybe ...